Steve Wynn Sues Unidentified Foe of Everett Casino Project

Casino magnate Steve Wynn filed earlier this week a libel lawsuit against an unnamed defendant and openly criticized the way his company has been treated by Boston officials since it first applied for one of three licenses for fully-fledged casinos in Massachusetts.

Mr. Wynn and Boston Mayor Martin Walsh have been at odds since last October when the Massachusetts Gaming Commission announced that Wynn Resorts was the preferred candidate for a casino resort in the Greater Boston area. The gambling operator proposed a $1.7-million complex with a large casino floor and a number of other luxury amenities.

Mr. Wynn told local media that it was unacceptable for a company that presented itself and its project honestly in the state of Massachusetts to be treated the way it has been over the past year and to be subjected to “defamatory political abuse.” The businessman decided that it was about time to deal with the issue and to turn to court for that purpose.

The lawsuit was filed earlier this week in Suffolk Superior Court. The gambling operator said in it that an unknown defendant had provided media with subpoenas regarding Boston’s lawsuit against the state gambling regulator in order to distribute falsehoods. City officials had previously claimed that the Gaming Commission’s decision to give the nod to Wynn Resort’s Everett casino project was the product of a corrupt selection process.

Wynn Resorts suggested in this week’s lawsuit that the subpoenas included false information that the company had employed two former police officers who had been given information about a convicted felon who had owned land at the future site of the proposed Everett casino. The gambling operator specifically stated that it had not attended a 2013 meeting in which the land interest of the said felon was considered.

Wynn Resorts also pointed out that whoever spread the subpoenas intended to defame both the casino operator and its President Matthew Maddox.

Mr. Wynn said in a statement that his company is still committed to providing Massachusetts with a luxury casino resort and numerous benefits but it would not tolerate “mean-spirited, libelous statements.” He also pointed out that they are determined to identify the individuals who spread those “outright lies.”

Although Wynn Resorts did not name Mayor Martin Walsh as a defendant in this most recent lawsuit, earlier this year, Mr. Wynn suggested that the operator may sue the official for spreading false statements in an attempt to block the expensive casino project.

A spokesperson for the mayor said in a statement from Tuesday evening that neither Mayor Walsh, nor other Boston officials had provided local media with the subpoenas in question.

Related News

CasinoNewsDaily is a media focused on providing daily news from the casino industry as well as in-depth gaming guides. Our guides cover roulette, blackjack, slots and video poker.
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Share on Google+
Google+
Share on LinkedIn
Linkedin
Share on Reddit
Reddit